In 1794 French refugees settled in High Falls (now Lyons Falls), where the Moose and Black rivers meet to crash over rocks seventy feet high. These were Royalist who fled France because of the Revolution. The harsh cold climate and isolation were too much for the pampered aristocrats accustomed to the mild weather of France and they soon left.
The first permanent settlement in the region of Lyons Falls was Lyonsdale, founded by Caleb Lyon. He settled in Lyonsdale in 1823, where he built a bridge in 1829 and a grist mill in 1830. He was elected to the New York Assembly in 1824, where he initiated the project to construct the Black River Canal which would go from Lyons Falls to join the Erie Canal at Rome. (Taken from the “History of Lyons Falls” by Clarence L. Fisher.)
In May of 2005, an interested group of people decided to form a history club to organize and preserve the past of the Village and surrounding area. Within five years, the Lyons Falls History Association was organized and chartered by the New York State Education Department and became non-profit. A room was acquired in the back of the Falls Pharmacy and turned into a small museum. It complements a pharmacy museum in the adjoining hall. Pictures and materials are constantly being scanned and turned into DVDs of the villages around Lyons Falls. Notebooks are categorized by subjects and pictures and clippings put in them. There is also a large selection of local history books. The Association meets several times a year and in the summer takes field trips to local historic sites. The museum is open by appointment and every Tuesday during the summer from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.