In the late 1800s and early 1900s, Lyons Falls did not have one
consolidated, stationary school system; rather, it had a series of
smaller buildings that served as a school until a larger one was
built. The most well-remembered of these schools was located on Gorham
Street (pictured left). The school had been built in 1893 and was used until the high
school was built on McAlpine Street. Classes at this school were
taught by Maurice Walsh.
The townspeople knew that one combined high school would be more
beneficial to the community than the system the Village had then, so
in 1900, land was purchased on McAlpine Street and a new high school
was built. Classes at the new school were taught by Anna Volovic,
Samuel Neff, Lillian Burnham, and Mary Cox. The first graduating class
from the new school was the class of 1903, which consisted of four
students. However, this school was soon outgrown, requiring the
construction of another new school building.
In 1927, the current building was erected at the same location. This
served as both the elementary and high school for the youth of Lyons
Falls until South Lewis High School was built in 1963. The building
continued to serve as an elementary school until it was closed in
1983. The building still remains as a reminder to the people of Lyons
Falls of what once was a small town's fondest memory (pictured right).