The work on the bridge by the bank on Center St. in Lyons Falls was very inconvenient for many of the Village businesses at the beginning of the summer in 2011. One of these businesses is Dorrity’s Restaurant, owned by Cindy Dorrity. Like all of Lyons Falls, Dorrity’s has an eventful past.
The building that houses Dorrity’s Restaurant was originally Alfred Rocker’s Store. This store was built after the big block fire that destroyed half of Center St. in December 1949. The original Rocker’s Store was destroyed in the block fire, but the new building was built in the location of Dorrity’s in 1950. The store offered merchandise from shoes to clothing and many people remember buying shoes there.
Florence and her husband, Henry LaLonde bought the building from Alfred Rocker and converted the shoe store into Flo’s Restaurant. Terry and Ann Dorrity bought the restaurant from Flo LaLonde and changed the name to Dorrity’s. The restaurant changed hands again from Terry and Ann to Maggie Dorrity, and then to Dale Dorrity. Altogether, the Dorrity family owned the restaurant for around twenty-two years. After a fire around 1995, Dale sold the restaurant to Catherine Buckingham and Dorrity’s became the Strawberry Patch. This restaurant closed December 13, 1997. Cindy Dorrity bought the restaurant in August 1998 and opened her new restaurant September 3, 1998 once again bearing the family name.
Now, Dorrity’s Restaurant is a popular morning breakfast spot for some Lyons Falls’ residents. The construction on the bridge didn’t deter them from their morning treat. If you haven’t eaten at Dorrity’s before, be sure to stop down. There is great food in a casual environment. Dorrity’s is definitely Lyons Falls’ version of a hometown diner. Business hours are from 5:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays, 5:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays, 5:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Fridays, and 5:30 to noon Saturdays and Sundays.