Anybody familiar with the Turin, Lyons Falls, and Constableville area is typically familiar with Potters Corners. Potters Corners is located at the intersection of Route 26, Route 12D, and the Powell Road in West Turin. This “famous” location just outside of Lyons Falls is a frequently traversed ground for travelers, yet the history of the name is usually a mystery to those who pass through the area. The roots of Potters Corners can be traced back to the Rees/Potter family, a family joined in the marriage of Mary Permelia Rees and Marshall Ney Potter in 1882. Mary and Marshall Potter gave birth to Reese Marshall Earle Potter, father to H.E. Reese Potter. A daughter of Reese Potter, Emily Potter Lodestro, lives in Falconer, New York and a son, Reese M. Potter, lives in Heber Springs, Arkansas.
The Rees family originated in Wales; William and Mary Rees, both born in the 1770s, traveled to America and settled in Lewis County in 1801. William was a stone mason who contributed to the construction of Constableville’s famous Constable Hall. In return for William’s help in building Constable Hall, he was given a large tract of land in Lyons Falls. This became a bustling farm complete with two large stone houses, both of which remain today. The larger of the two homes is occupied today by Oren and Elizabeth Cook, as is a portion of the farm land that had originally belonged to the Rees family.
Potters Corners is located just up the road from the Rees farm. It is believed that the area was named for Eugene Potter, a farmer of the area who had been active in politics. The first mention of the name “Potters Corners” in newspapers was found in a paper from 1922. Since the Potter family and the Rees family were joined in 1882, it is logical to believe that this area was named for a relation of this family.