Lyons Falls History Association
Gould Paper Company

GOULD PAPER COMPANY Gordias H.P. Gould was the founder of the Gould Paper Company. After previously owning a saw and pulp mill a mile up the Moose River in partnership with the daughters of Lyman Lyon, he purchased property at the junction of Black and Moose Rivers at Lyons Falls and built a paper mill there. The paper mill opened in 1895. In 1902 Mr. Gould built a home of Gouverneur marble across from the mill under the supervision of the architect of the Forest Presbyterian Church on Center Street. His son Harry P. took over operation of the Gould Paper Company following his fatherís death in 1919. Gordon H.P. Gould became president of the company in 1938. The Mill soon became the largest employer in the area. In 1945 Continental Can purchased the mill and produced specialty paper and newsprint. In 1956 the Lyons Falls Paper Corporation took over operations. They put in a hardwood pulping plant. They were the first paper maker in the country to use this type of process. In 1962 the Mill was purchased by Puget Sound Pulp and Paper Company. A year later, the mill changed hands again when it was taken over by Georgia-Pacific. In 1985 Georgia-Pacific sold the mill to the Lyons Falls Pulp and Paper Company. The mill closed for good in 2000. It remains a skeleton on Center Street, reminding the people of Lyons Falls of what once was the village's largest enterprise.

Lyons Falls History Association